The day of green! How are you celebrating St. Patrick’s Day (or weekend)? With the cold weather of late, a green soup recipe is the perfect choice for a warm cozy meal. Green lentil soup is hearty and filling, a must-have before embarking on a night of frolicking and drinking. It is easy to make — simply chop various vegetables and along with lentils, let it simmer in the pot until it is ready to eat. It is green, lean, and simply delicious.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1¼ teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup French green (Le Puy) or brown lentils
- 8 large green chard leaves
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, scrubbed
- 12 cups gently packed spinach (about 10 ounces), any tough stems trimmed
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground (see Tip)
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- ½ jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- Heat oil in pan and add onions until brown. Add two tablespoons of water, reduce heat and cover until onions are caramelized for about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Rinse and cook the lentils.
- When the lentils have cooked for 20 minutes, add in chard, potato, scallions, and broth. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, cumin and coriander. When the onions are caramelized, add them to the soup. Return to a simmer, cover and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in the reserved spinach, cilantro, mint, jalapeno and pepper; return to a simmer, cover and cook until the spinach is tender but still bright green, about 5 minutes more. Stir in one tablespoon lemon juice. Taste and add more lemon juice and/or pepper, if desired.
Lentils are incredibly healthy and yummy. It is easy to make a homemade soup and any leftovers can be frozen for future use or gobbled up as a St. Patrick’s hangover go-to. Either way, in the chilly March weather, a delectable green soup full of protein and veggies will not be regretted.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day from all of us at Women’s Post!