On a cold snowy day, a delicious and filling noodle bowl hits the spot and leaves you feeling warm and satisfied.
LoveWildLiveFree, a vegan recipe and lifestyle blog by Avra Epstein, brings you a soba noodle bowl with peanut sauce that is full-bodied and tasteful. It’s absolutely addicting, but you can eat it without the guilt of consuming something unhealthy. A win-win in my opinion.
Soba noodles are a delicious alternative to regular pasta because they are made of buckwheat flour, a grain that is protective against heart disease and full of antioxidants. Soba noodles are also a great source of protein. Epstein also offers coconut sauce, also known as coconut aminos, as an alternative to the typical soya sauce.
Vegan Soba Noodle Bowl
2 tbsp organic unrefined, virgin coconut oil (or water if you’d like to make this oil free)
1 package of Soba Noodles (about 8.8 oz)
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 + 1/2 cups broccoli, cut into pieces (you can include the stems)
3 – 4 baby bok choy
fresh garlic and ginger, minced, to taste
Sesame seeds, to garnish
Pink Himalayan salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
(use organic ingredients)
makes 2 to 3 servings
1. Cook soba noodles according to the directions provided on the package. In general, they should only take about 3 to 5 minutes to cook once the water has boiled. Once cooked, strain and keep warm until serving.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add coconut oil (or water if you’d like to make this oil free, you may have to add extra while you cook as needed).
3. Add onion, minced ginger and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring often. Add a tiny pinch of salt to draw out the liquid – this helps the onions to soften.
4. Prepare the baby bok choy by trimming and discarding any rough bottoms. Separate the leaves, rinse, and pat dry.
5. Add bok choy, peppers and broccoli to the pan and continue to cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through. Season with pink Himalayan salt and ground pepper to taste.
6. Place noodles into serving dishes and top with pan fried veggies and peanut sauce (recipe below). Garnish with sesame seeds.
The Ultimate Peanut Sauce
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 + 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used a natural Sriracha sauce)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
1 tablespoon coconut seasoning sauce or soy sauce
1/4 cup filtered water
(use organic ingredients)
1. Combine all ingredients except for the water in a small mixing bowl.
2. Add 1/4 cup filtered water and mix. Add more water if needed until the sauce is the desired consistency.
Orignal recipe can be found here: Vegan Soba Noodle Bowl with the Ultimate Peanut Sauce