What’s the best part of summer? In my opinion, it’s taking advantage of the fresh fruits and veggies that are in season for these precious months. Bringing summer into your kitchen is certainly a way to delight and embrace the sunshine.
When I think of sunshine, I often end up thinking of the tropics, that’s why Women’s Post is going to inspire you with a simple and delicious trio of quick and easy Caribbean recipes.
- 2 cups diced ripe mangoes
- 1 cup diced watermelon (seedless)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- ¼ cup passionfruit juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine the diced mango, watermelon, and red onion in a large bowl
- Add passion fruit juice, lime juice and thyme
- Sprinkle with salt, toss lightly and serve refrigerated
This island inspired salad is refreshing, crisp, and offers the right amount of zesty sweetness.
Island Jerk Wings
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1tsp thyme leaves
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp cinnamon powder
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp black pepper
- 1tsp all spice
- 1 tsp jerk sauce (wet mix from supermarket eg: Grace Jerk seasoning)
- ¼ cup green onion
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Preset oven to 425 degrees.
- In one large bowl, toss the chicken wings in the garlic, thyme, salt, cinnamon, paprika, black pepper, and all spice.
- Add tsp of jerk sauce (more can be added depending on your spice preference)
- Sprinkle Worcestershire sauce
- Line a baking tray with foil and place chicken wings, lightly drizzle with olive oil (optional)
- Place on the top rack of your oven and bake for 45 minutes, rotate wings halfway through.
- Wings should be crispy and ready to serve.
This recipe is fun and easy to prepare. It adds a burst of flavour and summer heat to your palette.
Frozen Island Tea Pops
*Can be prepared the night before to enjoy the next day.
- 2 cups Iced Tea (black tea)
- 2 cups canned pineapple juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- In a large pitcher mix the iced tea with pineapple juice
- Add lime juice and stir well
- Pour mixture into popsicle moulds of your choice
- Freeze for 6 hours
Hopefully this collection of Caribbean inspired treats adds a little bit of sunshine to your home! Enjoy and feel free to let us know how your recipes turned out. Leave a comment below.