On a blazing hot sunny day, a bowl of ice cream is the most refreshing treat imaginable.
Now, there is a way to enjoy this dessert without the guilt of eating something unhealthy. LoveWildLiveFree, a vegan recipe and lifestyle blog by Avra Epstein, brings you a vegan ice cream dish that is healthy and satisfying.
The Raw Banana Chocolate Chunk Nice-Cream uses bananas and chocolate as natural sweetners and it tastes like a delicious bowl of ice cream without any unnecessary additives! Bananas can be used in many dessert recipes as a sugar replacement and instead gives vital nutrients such as potassium and dietary fiber. Cacao, which provides the yummy chocolate addition has magnesium and high antioxidants.
You will need:
4 ripe bananas
Raw chocolate sauce (recipe below)
Raw Heirloom Organic Vanilla Bean and Salt Chocolate Bar
Raw cashew pieces, optional
Raw Chocolate Sauce:
1 tbsp organic unrefined, virgin coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp raw cacao powder
1-2 tbsp lukewarm filtered water, or more if needed
3 dates, soaked for 10 minutes in lukewarm filtered water
- Peel bananas and cut into coins. Place the bananas in to an airtight container and freeze for a couple of hours until frozen, or ideally, overnight.
- Place the frozen bananas into a food processor. Pulse until you create a crumble, stoping to scrape down the walls of the food processor as you go.
- Once you reach an even crumble, blend consistently and stop every so often to scrape down the sides to ensure that you have an even consistency. This will take a little patience, but eventually the mixture will reach a soft-serve ice cream consistency.
- Roughly chop a couple of squares of the chocolate bar and add to the food processor, pulsing a few times to evenly distribute.
- Depending on your preference, you can eat the ice-cream immediately as soft-serve, or, transfer to an airtight container and freeze until solid.
- Top with raw cashews and raw chocolate sauce (recipe below).
Note: I always use a food processor when making nice-cream, but it can also be made in a high speed blender, just be sure that your blender is powerful enough to handle processing frozen bananas.
Raw Chocolate Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. It’s that simple, just make sure to remove the dates from the water they’ve soaked in before adding them to the blender!
Tip: If the sauce is too runny place in refrigerator to thicken; if the sauce is too thick add more lukewarm water and blend.
Original recipe can be found here: Raw Banana Chocolate Chunk Nice-Cream