Eating a fresh and raw salad in the summertime is one of the healthiest and easiest ways to stay cool from the gut-wrenching heat. One of my favourites is a refreshing raw vegan mock tuna salad.
Love Wild Live Free, a vegan food and lifestyle blog by Avra Epstein, offers a yummy raw mock tuna salad recipe that uses affordable, fresh ingredients to make a light (but filling) meal that will leave you vying for more. This raw recipe uses organic ingredients and also includes kosher dill relish with live probiotics, an easy way to get additional bacteria that keep the gut healthy.
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds
- 5 tablespoons RawFoodz French Onion Dip
- 2 celery stocks, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 2 tbsp Kosher dill relish (with live probiotics)
- 2 tsp Dulse Flakes, or Nori Flakes
- 1 tbsp finely minced onion (red or sweet white)
- Pink Himalayan Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- (use organic ingredients)
- Rinse sunflower seeds and place in to a medium size bowl. Fill with filtered water, leaving a few inches of space above. Cover with a clean towel, secured with an elastic band. Allow to soak 6-8 hours.
- After the soaking time is up, rise sunflower seeds again. Add to food processor and pulse to chop into an even consistency, scraping down with a spatula as necessary. You do not want to over process otherwise you will end up with a creamy consistency. Instead, you’re going for a crumbled consistency that resembles flaked tuna.
- In a large mixing bowl add chopped sunflower seeds and the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Serve chilled and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Enjoy this delicious salad and experience the rejuvenating feeling of eating raw and healthy foods.