Finding dairy and egg-free sauces can be extremely difficult. Sauces provide taste, colour, and variety to otherwise dull dishes, but vegan alternatives aren’t widely promoted. Luckily for you, Women’s Post has found a collection of great recipe choices for sauce lovers everywhere.
- 4 tbsp soya milk (or alternative such as almond milk)
- ½ tsp grain mustard or mustard powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp cider vinegar
- ½ clove garlic
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Blend together non-dairy milk, mustard, lemon juice, cider vinegar and ½ clove garlic.
- Keep the blender running and add the oil gradually in a thin stream. By the time you have added all the oil, the mayonnaise should be thick.
- Season to taste and can be kept from three days in the fridge.
Original recipe can be found http://www.vegansociety.com/resources/recipes
Vegan Cashew Sour Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons light miso
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Sea salt, to taste
- Water, divided
- In a strong blender, combine the cashews, vinegar, lemon juice, miso, nutritional yeast, salt (to taste) and a little water. Blend to make a thick, coarse purée. With the machine running, gradually add desired water to blend until smooth and the consistency of heavy whipping cream. (Add more water to make a thinner cream for soup garnishes.)
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Original recipe can be found http://www.vegancoach.com/vegan-dips.html#anchor-cashew-sour-cream
Raw Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce
- ½ cup cashew nuts, soaked for 2 hours
- ½ cup filtered water
- ½ lemon, juiced + ½ tsp zest
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp kelp powder
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients into a blender and combine until smooth.
- Slowly heat on stove in saucepan until warm.
- Serve with pasta (delicious with gluten-free fettuccine)
Original recipe can be found http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/recipe-spaghetti-squash-with-alfredo-sauce/
Béchamel Cheese Sauce
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs. chickpea flour
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shreds
- 2 tbs. vegan grated parmesan or nutritional yeast
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat on stove in a saucepan until warm. Excellent on a vegetarian burger or on broccoli and rice
Original recipe can be found http://www.onegreenplanet.org/plant-based-recipes/vegan-moussaka-burger-with-bechamel-cheese-sauce/
Five Ingredient Raw, Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted and tightly packed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tbsp. melted coconut oil
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Heat two cups of water in a saucepan till warm (not scalding hot). Place the dates in a bowl and submerge them with hot water. Allow them to sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the dates, reserving the soak water. Place them into a blender with ¾ cup of the soak water, the vanilla, the coconut oil, and the salt. Blend them on a high speed till they are very smooth and resemble a sauce. Add more water as needed, until the sauce is thick but pourable (I used a scant cup).
- Sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Original recipe can be found http://www.thefullhelping.com/5-ingredient-raw-vegan-salted-caramel-sauce/