If you are feeling blue about the election results and need a comforting treat (to be enjoyed while watching a distracting rom-com or a healthy dose of Gilmore Girls), homemade caramel popcorn with nuts will do the trick. Here is the delicious Canadian alternative that uses maple syrup — designed to cheer up any weary soul awaiting doomsday now that President Trump is in power.
2 cups popping kernels
½ cup maple syrup
1 cup nuts of choice (slivered almonds or cashews)
A dash of cinnamon
Dash of sea salt
1 ¼ tsp vanilla
- Begin by making homemade popping corn. It is easy and much cheaper than buying the packaged popcorn full of unnecessary additives. Simply place three kernels and a tablespoon of olive or coconut oil in a pot and heat on medium-high. Once they pop, remove from the heat and fill the pot with the remaining kernels. Cover and count to 30 seconds before placing back on the burner. Shake the pot while the kernels pop and remove from heat once the popping slows. Place the popcorn in a pan.
- Slice almonds or cashews and toast for seven to ten minutes.
- In another saucepan, heat maple syrup until it is boiling. Once boiling, let the syrup boil for two and a half minutes and remove from heat. Don’t let it burn! Pour onto popcorn and sprinkle with cinnamon, vanilla and sea salt.
- Optional: add cranberries, coconut shavings or chocolate chips for an extra kick.
- Bake at 350 degrees for six minutes. Add roasted nuts and enjoy!
All it takes is a few layers of absolute sugary sweetness to get rid of the post-election blues. Plus, it gets rid of that nasty case of the munchies too! Enjoy!