Try this warm-from-the-oven casserole at family brunch this weekend! Cream cheese is the secret ingredient in this recipe, which gets a generous topping of blueberry or maple syrup. Yum!
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Chill: 2 hrs
Bake: 25 mins
- 12 slices dry white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 2 8 – ounce package cream cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or maple-flavored syrup
- Blueberry-flavored, maple, or maple-flavored syrup
- Place half of the bread cubes over the bottom of a well-buttered 13x9x2-inch baking dish (3-quart rectangular). Sprinkle cream cheese and blueberries over bread cubes. Arrange remaining bread cubes over blueberries.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with a rotary beater; beat in milk and the 1/2 cup syrup. Carefully pour egg mixture over the bread mixture. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
- Bake, covered, in a 375 degrees F oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake about 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, and topping is puffed and golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with blueberry-flavored or maple syrup. Makes 8 servings.
Note* To dry bread slices: Arrange bread in a single layer on a wire rack; cover loosely and let stand overnight. Or cut bread with 1/2-inch cubes; spread in a large baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 300 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry, stirring twice; cool.
Comment below and let us know how it went!
Repost from: http://www.midwestliving.com/recipe/fruit/blueberry-surprise-french-toast-casserole